Wed, 15 Mar|
COUNTRY AND COASTAL SPECIAL: Introduction to Foraging Workshop in Lancaster with Forage Box
A 4-hour workshop with a foraging expert, including ID guidance, finding and tasting wild ingredients and a walk in Lancashire
Time & Location
15 Mar 2023, 10:00 – 14:00
Cockerham, Hillam Ln, Cockerham, Lancaster LA2 0DY, UK
About the Event
This course is designed to get you as involved as possible - this includes identifying, picking and tasting a range of wild species that will be found on the day. There will also be lots of samples of food and drink for everyone to get stuck into!
The focus with all of our workshops is on the 4 'F's of Foraging: Fungi, Fruit, Flowers and Foliage. We aim for an array of these elements on every session we run (weather and season permitting!)
We like to keep some elements a surprise for the day, but here is what you can expect from your Foraging Workshop:
- a short introduction outlining foraging tips, safety, ethics, etiquette and law
- a circular walking route taking in different growing environments around the site INCLUDING countryside AND coastal habitats! Expect around 2 hours spent in each environment (a short drive with car sharing is required to maximise the amount of time spent foraging rather than driving - please be prepared to jump in with a stranger or two!)
- a closer look at edible wild species and any poisonous lookalikes by a professional forager
- a chance to slow the pace of modern life down, meet new people and immerse yourself in a soul-nourishing activity, reconnecting with nature and discovering new flavours.
- small tasters of wild food, drink and preserves. These may include liqueurs, syrups, salts, jams, wines and even freshly-picked items straight from the hedgerow. We've even been known to fry up some species we find on the day or enjoy a fresh pot of wild tea using plants found on site!
- each course is run with in an informal fashion, where attendee questions and contributions are more than welcome
At the end of the session, there will be a small selection of our wild products available to purchase (card and cash accepted). This is a recent element of our events after enough attendees made enquiries about it - there is no pressure to buy anything having already bought tickets but sometimes people want a souvenir to take with them!