Fri, 15 Sept|
Forage Box, COUNTRY & COASTAL SPECIAL: Cooking, Wild Butchery and Foraging in Lancaster
Time & Location
15 Sept 2023, 10:00 – 16:00
Cockerham, Hillam Ln, Cockerham, Lancaster LA2 0DY, UK
About the Event
** Please note this is a third party event brought to you by Forage box, and if you are making a booking you will be directed away from The Rewilding website.We've teamed up with the incredible team at The Rewilding, based in the gorgeous Lancashire countryside, to bring you this COUNTRY AND COASTAL SPECIAL! The focus will be on both typical countryside and coastal environments, with a look at all the wonderful wild edibles that can be found in both locations. This might just be the best, most comprehensive event we run! Are you looking to reconnect with nature having spent too much time inside? Are you having a rethink about your impact on the natural world? Maybe you want to try to source food from somewhere other than your local supermarket? Or are you just a food-lover who wants to try new and unique flavours? This is your chance - find out what delicious wild food grows in typical UK countryside and learn how to forage for yourself! This course is designed to get you as involved as possible - this includes identifying, picking and tasting a range of wild species that will be found on the day. There will also be lots of samples of food and drink for everyone to get stuck into!
The focus with all of our workshops is on the 4 'F's of Foraging: Fungi, Fruit, Flowers and Foliage. We aim for an array of these elements on every session we run (weather and season permitting!)
We like to keep some elements a surprise for the day, but here is what you can expect from your Foraging Workshop:
- a short introduction outlining foraging tips, safety, ethics, etiquette and law
- a circular walking route taking in different growing environments around the site INCLUDING countryside AND coastal habitats! Expect around 2 hours spent in each environment (a short drive with car sharing is required to maximise the amount of time spent foraging rather than driving - please be prepared to jump in with a stranger or two!)
- a closer look at edible wild species and any poisonous lookalikes by a professional forager
- the opportunity to hand-pick seasonal wild ingredients for your lunch
- a wild butchery session, preparing wild meat using your bare hands
- a fire-lighting session, focussing on using natural materials (no lighters or matches in sight!)
- a guided cooking session to create a 3-course al fresco feast, showcasing the ingredients you've freshly picked, including cooking over an open fire
- a chance to slow the pace of modern life down, meet new people and immerse yourself in a soul-nourishing activity, reconnecting with nature and discovering new flavours.
- each course is run with in an informal fashion, where attendee questions and contributions are more than welcome
At the end of the session, there will be a small selection of our wild products available to purchase (card and cash accepted). This is a recent element of our events after enough attendees made enquiries about it - there is no pressure to buy anything having already bought tickets but sometimes people want a souvenir to take with them!
Full information can be found here - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/country-coastal-special-cooking-wild-butchery-and-foraging-in-lancaster-tickets-596970112677