Thu, 16 Nov|
Patty's Barn, The Salt Marsh
Herd Animals // MONEY, an Evening of Conversation, Supper & Connection
These monthly gatherings are an ode to infamous Jefferson Dinners where a small group of people gather around one table and share one conversation over one pre-selected topic, and there is one golden rule that applies throughout the evening. There is only ever one single conversation at any one time
Time & Location
16 Nov 2023, 19:00 – 21:30
Patty's Barn, The Salt Marsh, Hillam Lane, Cockerham, Lancaster LA2 0DY, UK
About the Event
Come and gather with us around the dinner table for an evening of thoughtful conversation and supper.
These monthly gatherings are an ode to infamous Jefferson Dinners where a small group of people gather around one table and share one conversation over one pre-selected topic, and there is one golden rule that applies throughout the evening...There is only ever one single conversation as one person is talking, the whole table listens, no side conversations :)
That’s 8 to 12 brains on one topic and 8 to 12 new perspectives to broaden your mind and heart.
THE TOPIC - Money
Money enables us to live the life we want to live, but that means you have to earn it first, right? Money comes in the form of cash, credit, a number on a screen, physical assets, and even time. But money means something different for everyone. While most people live their whole lives trying to make more, others don't have to do anything to receive it. As we move more towards a cashless society, how will this change the way we exchange goods and services and be monitored? What is money anyway and why are we so fixated on it?!
What makes these evenings so interesting and thought-provoking is tapping into the wisdom and various experiences and perspectives from around the table which makes for an interesting and insightful evening as well as the added bonus of herd mentality in order to collectively make sense of the world.
How it goes...
- Every supper will have between 6-12 guests
- The discussion topic for this supper is Money and the icebreaker question is above...
- On the evening, as the host I will open up our conversation by posing the icebreaker question and each guest takes turns sharing a 1-2 minute introduction of who they are and their response to the question.
- The conversation has now begun. As the host I will keep the discussion on track if needed but otherwise, this will be free-flowing around the chosen subject.
- As the dinner comes to an end, each guest will have the opportunity to share a “takeaway” from the evening. This can be something they would like to follow up on after the dinner, a new discovery or insight they were exposed to, or something they were particularly inspired or challenged by. This gives everyone an opportunity to reflect on the conversation.
- At the end of the evening, we will have the opportunity to finish with a cup of tea to mingle and chat over any of the side conversations you'd been storing up throughout the evening as well as the opportunity to connect more with the other guests.
Firstly, I love nothing more than to bring people together over food and around one table, secondly, I love nothing more than to have meaningful conversations that spark new perspectives and deepen my understanding of the world around me.
With the mass knowledge overload that is rammed down all of our senses, we have become overstimulated and so-called expert representations on every subject having only read the headline and without ever doing the background reading or having experienced the lived reality e.g. NHS crisis, food poverty, discrimination... the list is endless. Living in a constant state of outrage, meaning balanced and healthy conversations are few and far between and become increasingly (and unnecessarily) polarized and extreme, which I don't believe is what any of us truly want. If we disagree with one another it doesn't mean we can't have a healthy and balanced conversation where we can exchange understanding on our viewpoints, and it certainly does not mean we cannot maintain friendships and family relationships.
These dinners are not about speaking over others or who can shout the loudest but about active listening, authentic conversation and human connection, understanding, sharing and exchanging knowledge and wisdom and becoming much more rounded and compassionate beings whilst enjoying a wholesome warm meal together.
- 2-course meal - vegetarian option available, unfortunately, we are unable to cater to other dietary requirements at this moment.
- Soft drinks and teas and coffees, alcoholic drinks are BYO
Who is this for? Absolutely anyone, the more diverse the herd the more interesting the conversation will flow.
Out of respect for everyone else, please don't be late!
- Ticket type